ACMC

More Spec Details and a Comparison to the Little Dipper

Picture of User 5
More Spec Details and a Comparison to the Little Dipper
by User 5 - Monday, 13 March 2006, 11:03 AM

I just talked with the ACM company in NY as well as with a referance they gave me of someone in NY who uses this machine.

The reference, a man who owns a confection's business and uses the machine when teaching classes, gave the table top temperer very high marks. He sells the machines at his place of business and stated that he's not received any complaints about it yet.

From the research I've done and through my conversations with the company and others use who this machine, the capacity and operation is the same as the Hilliard Little Dipper. They both have a 5 qt bowl and temper the same amount of chocolate at once, they both run on two 100-watt light bulbs, cool via a fan, and have a center baffle that scrapes the chocolate as the bowl rotates. Some of the most important differences, however, are 1. The ACM machine has a digital read out of the temperatures, which may make it easier to read than Hilliard's knob control, 2. The ACM machine is made from tough plastic whereas the Little Dipper is made from stainless steel (therefore causing the Little Dipper to be quite a bit heavier), and 3. the price. The Little Dipper is $1,200 wheareas this maching is around $800.

Additionally, references have told me that with the ACM machine, the bowl can very easily be changed (for fast switching between light and dark chocolates). The Little Dipper requires a few more steps to exchange the bowl and is therefore not as convenient. The ACM extra bowls are around $30. You can also buy an extra baffle for around $27 (these were price estimates the company rep gave me).

The warranty for this machine is 6 months. The Little Dipper is 1 year. Hilliard's core product is machines, which may be the reason their warranty is a bit longer. The ACM machine has been in production around 20 years, however, and appears to have a good track record from what I've found.

One more comment about the temperature control, as with any of the table top machines, the temperature reading is generally a "guide." You should always test for temper despite what the temperature reading may be, due to the many variables we're all aware of. The Little Dipper knob, therefore, may not make setting the temperature any more difficult than a digital setting from the ACM machine.

Zach
Picture of User 51
Re: More Spec Details and a Comparison to the Little Dipper
by User 51 - Friday, 22 September 2006, 3:52 PM

Hello:

I have used both these machines in production and both I would say are excellen. To discuss the pros and cons of each:

The ACMC machine has the nice digital readout that allows you to know with greater precision what temperatre your chocolate is at. The machine is lightweight and easy to move around. Phone tech support was good when we had a problem, and repairs were fairly easy. However, the plastic body can crack and is not that sturdy.

The Hilliards machine is built like a tank, pure stainless steel makes it nearly unbreakable and easier to clean, with fewer nooks and crannies than the ACMC. The motor is definitely more powerful and looks like it will spin forever, whereas the ACMC machines are a bit flimsier. The temperature dial is precise but not with the precision of digital readout.

Either machine is a good investment, but for the long haul I would go with the Hilliards if you've got the money.
Picture of User 5
Re: More Spec Details and a Comparison to the Little Dipper
by User 5 - Friday, 22 September 2006, 5:09 PM

Thank you for the comparison and great information!

Zach