Selmi Chocolate Machinery

Cleaning the Selmi between uses

Picture of User 221
Cleaning the Selmi between uses
by User 221 - Sunday, 5 July 2009, 5:30 PM

I just set up and used my Selmi Plus for the first time. I molded with it, then attached the enrobing line. Everything worked great and the pieces were lovely. To break down I stopped the tempering process but left the vibration on for a while to let the chocolate drip from the grids as much as possible. Then I turned off the tempering and let it all set up except for the hoses and attachment that produces the curtain of chocolate which I rinsed in hot, hot water and set to dry. I just folded it up and covered it. Intuition tells me to warm up the parts again before use, perhaps using a heat gun to "unfreeze" the tempered chocolate from the running belt etc.
Is this correct? If not, how in the world would you clean the belt?

Picture of Melanie Boudar
Re: Cleaning the Selmi between uses
by Melanie Boudar - Thursday, 8 October 2009, 2:29 AM

I guess by now you have figured out how to use your Selmi...heat up the parts with a hairdryer for a few minutes then turn the vibration on.I've been using the machine for a few months and love how easy it is to manage. Once in a while I get a chocolate buildup where the paper comes thru and have to pry it out, otherwise I just cover it and leave the chocolate on it.( except for the hose which I rinse right away)
Picture of Melanie Boudar
Re: Cleaning the Selmi between uses
by Melanie Boudar - Wednesday, 18 November 2009, 10:16 AM

Today I had to drag the enrober to a sink and totally hose down with hot water. Chocolate buildup where the metal belt meets the paper was so gunked up that the paper was not feeding properly.
I was amazed how much buildup is there. When I rinsed I discovered a removable catch pan there, but its not that easily removable.

I also accidentally sprung the rubber band belt off the motor and as the thing has no instruction book, it took a few attempts to figure out how the belt goes back on. If its incorrect you get a lot of drag marks of chocolate.