Selmi Chocolate Machinery

Problem with "top"

Picture of User 112
Problem with "top"
by User 112 - Saturday, 18 August 2007, 6:55 PM

I have two top machines from selmi and I'm having problems with the shine when i'm doing blocks, I never had this problem before, I can see most of the chocolate in the surface ok but on the edge and in the middle I see some straights.
Picture of User 118
Re: Problem with "top"
by User 118 - Thursday, 11 October 2007, 2:29 AM

The SELMI machines are tricky to set up and to find the correct temperature to work with. My expirience with SELMI users shows that most of the people work with too warm chocolate.
Reduce the working temperature slowly in steps of 0,5?C and check the result.
Picture of User 112
by User 112 - Friday, 4 January 2008, 1:01 AM

chocomana, thank a lot for you answer
Picture of User 112
by User 112 - Friday, 4 January 2008, 1:17 AM

Another question about the selmi, Is it true that you need to stop tempering in the top and/or the futura after a couple of hours of using? Because I received different advices about that.
Picture of Richard Jordan
by Richard Jordan - Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 11:14 PM

I have a Selmi Plus and it can run all day without needing to stop temper. The only time you need to do that is when you are at the end of your work cycle.

Just turn off the snowflake button and let the machine warm the chocolate back up again. Once it reaches it's highest temp, let it run for about 10 minutes so that you can be sure NOT to have any build up in your spout.

I love my Selmi. Believe me, it can run longer than 8 hours at a time, I do it all of the time.

Regarding your moulds not shining...I half way agree with the previous poster, but your molds can be too cold as well. If they were too warm, the chocolate would stick and you probably would have a hard time turning them out.

If they are too cold, they will turn out but can be dull or have stress marks.

I keep mine at the same room temp as my Selmi, and quickly run my heat gun with one pass over them just before i fill.
Picture of User 118
by User 118 - Friday, 4 January 2008, 3:27 AM

That's basically correct. After a view hours of running all tempering machines need a break. How long you can work with a machine depends on the type of machine and how it precrystallise the chocolate. Some machines run only 1h and the chocolate becomes thick (over-crystallising), others can run up to 12h.
Fact is that every machine will over-crystallise, that means that the amount of seeding crystalls in the chocolate increase in time and the chocolate becomes thick and difficult to work with. The SELMI Plus machine runs normally without problems for up to 8h, depending on the chocolate and the settings you use. If you realise that the chocolate becomes thick you can do the following things:

1. The normal way is to heat up the machine to min. 40?C and then start a new precrystallisation process

2. If there is space in the machine, add untempered couverture with min. 45?C to the machine. The amount should not be more than ca. 20% of the machine content. Wait for 10 minutes and continue with your work.
Why that works? Because the heat-energy which you bring in to the chocolate will melt a part of the seed crystalls and the amount of crystalls will be reduced. That means that the chocolate becomes more fluid again. But take care to the amount of hot chocolate you add!
Picture of User 112
by User 112 - Saturday, 5 January 2008, 7:56 PM

Thanks a lot for your help and quick answer.
Another thing that sometimes happens with the machines that we have is that when we use the scale option the top of the chocolate pumped after set has some marks like as it was untempered (without shine).
How do you know if the chocolate was too hot or too cold when you have marks or lines or when it gets stuck to the mould? I had the idea that most of the time was because is too hot, Am I right?
Is it true that you need to heat the mould between 22 to 27 degrees before using it?
Picture of User 118
by User 118 - Sunday, 6 January 2008, 10:19 PM

When you have grey lines or parts with chocolate which has no gloss and when chocolate stucks to the moulds you are working too warm. Especially when you use the scale option it's important that the chocolate is well precrystallised and the machine is running in a stable setting.
If you are working too close to the upper temperature limit the following will happen in your machine when you use the scale function: While you press the pedal, the machine stopps for a few seconds. The metal surfaces of the tubes in the machine are warm and partially heated. If the temperature of your chocolate is close to the upper limit, then the mass wich is directly on the metal surfaces will become too warm. When you let go the pedal and you fill your mould, this chocolate will appear as lines and spots without shine on your product.
If your product even sticks on the moulds, you are working really too warm.

The question if you should warm up your moulds before using them is difficult to answer.
My way to work is the following: If the mould is used from the shelf and has room temperature, I never warm it up as long it is a normal mould without very fine ornaments or lines.
If the mould was used and was in the fridge before and has a temperature of less than 22C, I warm it up with the hot air pistole and use it after 5 minutes.....but I check the surface very well!
My opinion is, that you can destroy a lot more than you can win when you warm up moulds. It's dangerous, especially when you are working with a chocolate temperature close to the upper limit!
Picture of User 112
by User 112 - Sunday, 6 January 2008, 10:48 PM

Thanks for you quick response.
The temperature on the left side is set at 46.5 degrees and the one on the right at 28 or 28.5 degrees. Sometimes for the dark I need to use the right one at 29 or 29.5 because that machine starts to shut down giving an error on the nozzle if I try to use it with less temperature, generally this happens when the chocolate was on tempering for a couples of hours (today, for example, It's working alright in the morning but in the afternoon after 3 hours of working it started having this problem). We have five selmis, one futura and four top (two are the lastest model). Only one of the top has this problem. Do you have any idea what can it be?
Picture of User 118
by User 118 - Monday, 7 January 2008, 2:06 AM

The temperature settings you mentioned are the ones I would recommend for the TOP machines. 28 to 28.5 for milk and white chocolates, 29 to 29.5 for dark chocolates.

The problem you describe could have two reasons:
1. If the Nozzle Error appears and you really realise that the chocolate becomes too thick: Some machines are cooling more intense than other ones. I'm always impressed about the difference between the same model of machine. If you increase the temperature in steps of 0.5C may you find a working setting. But it could be a technical problem too.
2. If the Nozzle Error appears but the chocolate is still OK: May the settings for the alarm is too low - then you have to check the machine.
Especially because the other machines are running well with the same settings there could be the possibility of a defect.

It would be interesting to hear from you if you realised a difference between the older and the newest model of the TOP machine.
Picture of christian chambord
by christian chambord - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 1:14 PM

Hi, i have a top selmi machine in argentina. I started having problems with the cooling system, I bought the machine from second hand as it was and it didnt come with any explanation or guide, specially for the electric and coling system. does anyone have this information and is able to send me by mail. I would really apreciate it, i would also make a deposit if it is required.

I hope some of you can help me because i returned to the old way tempering on the table.
Picture of User 112
by User 112 - Wednesday, 23 January 2008, 2:05 AM

Thanks a lot for your help and quick answer.
Picture of christian chambord
by christian chambord - Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 9:58 AM

Hi, i have a top selmi machine in argentina. I started having problems with the cooling system, I bought the machine from second hand as it was and it didnt come with any explanation or guide, specially for the electric and coling system. does anyone have this information and is able to send me by mail. I would really apreciate it, i would also make a deposit if it is required.

I hope some of you can help me because i returned to the old way tempering on the table