Hilliard's System

My experience with Hilliard's Hand Coater

Picture of User 2
My experience with Hilliard's Hand Coater
by User 2 - Wednesday, 22 February 2006, 9:37 AM

I used the Hilliard Hand Coater in my chocolate business for 10 years and it was a work horse.

Pros - Since it is a simple machine we were able to replace light bulbs and do some repairs ourselves. When we needed a new belt, Hilliards got that too us quickly. Other than some minor repairs, we never had any problems or down times with the machine.

If you have limited space this is a good solution as it only 32" wide, 20" deep, 45" high. But also remember you need a table at the end on which to place your coated chocolates.

Limitations - belt is only about 4 inches in width so it takes one center at a time. We got very good at the two handed place and retrieve cycle at each end of the belt. Also during heavy production of molded items, we needed an alternate heating source for replenishment chocolate as we went through the tempered chocolate in the bowl very quickly.

It was a good starter machine if you are doing limited production to begin your business as you can always allocate a specific flavor such as white or milk chocolate to this machine when you upgrade to a more powerful enrobing system for your dark chocolate.

If you are doing shell molded chocolates, this machine might be overkill with its coating attachment. I would opt for a less expensive melter-temperer or a machine specifically made for the tempering/molding process.

Pam Williams
Instructor
Ecole Chocolat
Picture of User 138
Re: My experience with Hilliard's Hand Coater
by User 138 - Thursday, 17 January 2008, 8:43 AM

Can you supply the retail price (or average) price for this machine?

Thanks
Picture of User 2
by User 2 - Thursday, 17 January 2008, 8:58 AM

You should contact Hilliards directly as prices change and each model is a different price.

Pam
Picture of User 142
by User 142 - Tuesday, 5 February 2008, 4:02 PM

a 6 inch coater new, is about 9500.00--
check out ebay for used-- they have them every now
and again, just make sure you don't get a lemon!

Chocolate gal
Picture of User 142
by User 142 - Tuesday, 5 February 2008, 3:57 PM

I have a 6 inch coater from Hilliard--- I am having a probpp
lem getting them off the end of the belt looking decent-
hand coating allows for so much more "tapping" "scraping", etc
etc and such a smooth look....my machine coated ones just look "gloppy" -- any
hints???

Thanks
A