Hilliard's System

Product Overview

Picture of User 2
Product Overview
by User 2 - Wednesday, 7 December 2011, 2:29 AM

Tempering Machine product list from http://www.hilliardschocolate.com

Little Dipper
The "Little Dipper" is a pilot plant (laboratory) size version of Hilliard's standard melters. A compact melting and tempering unit, it is designed to process from 1 1/2 pounds to 25 pounds of chocolate per day.

Tempering Melters
Hilliard's Tempering Melters are available in three sizes with tempering capacities of 80 lbs., 240 lbs. or 600 lbs. per day. These tempering machines are specifically designed for the small production runs and frequent changes in product type.

Hand Coater
This Hand Coater is, in fact, a complete, compact chocolate processing system comprised of a melter, tempering unit, coater and a mold filler, It was engineered specifically for small volume production of all types of taste- tempting candies - from chocolate covered fruits and nuts to such perennial favorites as fudge, clusters, and molds. And you don't have to be an expert in production and quality control to produce consistent, quality pieces.

Jumbo Hand Coater
In comparison to the original Hand Coater, the Jumbo model provides three times the tempering capacity. Its tempering melter assures a continuous supply of up to 240 pounds per day of precisely tempered chocolate.

Six Inch Coater
The Hilliard's Six Inch Coater offers all of the features of our Jumbo Hand Coater and more. A variable speed shaker controls coating thickness.

Picture of User 31
Re: Product Overview
by User 31 - Tuesday, 28 March 2006, 5:09 AM

I have used the Hilliard 6 inch coater for the past year.
Pam is correct, it is a workhorse. The bowl has a capacity for 80 libs of chocolate. I have had very little problem with it. Last year, one of my employees got a dipping utensil stuck in the belt and made a mess of it. We repaired it but it was very time consuming. I eventually took off the belt and the shaker because I do a lot of molded chocolate and the belt just gets in the way.
Once I got used to using it, I found it very easy to temper chocolate and be able to do big production quantities. You ahve to buy the big blocks of chocolate for the tempering as the callets get past the partition too easy and can make the chocolate lumpy.
Hilliard's has been repsonsive when I have called them but I have not had a lot of problems with the machine.
If you order one, be sure you know all about the shipping. It comes on a big pallet and weighs a lot so you have to be prepared to accept shipment that you get it placed exactly where you want it.
It is time consuming to clean as it has a lot of nuts and bolts and the bowl is huge but overall it was a good purchase. Only other downside is that it is noisy.
Picture of User 5
by User 5 - Wednesday, 29 March 2006, 6:29 PM

Diane,

Thanks for the great input on the larger machines. If you remove the belt and the shaker, how do you address the two issues these items address: 1. moving the chocolates out of the coater and 2. removing the excess chocolate?

I'm interested in knowing more about these larger machines; it's good to have a good balance of discussions between the larger and smaller machines.

Thanks,
Zach
Picture of User 31
by User 31 - Thursday, 30 March 2006, 7:21 AM

Hi Zach,
I don't use the belt at all. The machine basically is a huge version of the Chocovision for me. I hand dip my truffles.

I may put the belt back on - I took it off becuase I couldn't seem to adjust the "curtain" of chocolate so that it wasn't too thick. I discovered that I should have had the lamp attached and turned on. I thought the lamp was for lighting, but discovered it was an add on to the macjine......it actually was another source of warmth to keep the chocolate form cooling and getting thick when it went up the chain and down the shoot.

I also use a JVK and will post my thoughts on the Junior soon.
Picture of Eliza Butler
by Eliza Butler - Friday, 20 April 2012, 3:32 PM

OH my goodness! I purchased a candy store/ chocolate shop a year ago and had no idea that the lamp was for additional warmth! I also removed my coater and have been hand dipping everything! Maybe I'll give it another whirl!
Picture of User 5
by User 5 - Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 7:53 AM

Diane,

I have a quick question, could you please describe how you "seed" (if at all) using this machine? I assume it's with the bigger blocks you mentioned. Perhaps that's the answer for the table top machine I use - put in a block rather than the chips so that the small pieces don't get passed the partition and cause the chocolate to be lumpy.

Thanks,
Zach
Picture of User 31
by User 31 - Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 10:10 AM

Hi Zach,
To seed my chocolate with the Hillard machine I buy the Callebaut 11 lb blocks. In fact I only use the blocks of chocolate with my Hilliard and with my Chocovison machines. This prevents the chips from getting in front of the baffle and making lumpy chocolate.
With my JVK Junior I use the callets. It has a wheel that spins, rather than a bowl that spins so the chips melt better.
Does this answer your question?

Regards,
Diane
Picture of User 5
by User 5 - Wednesday, 5 April 2006, 11:11 AM

Diane,

Yes, great! That looks like it will provide a solution to my only problem - small bits of chocolate getting in the tempered chocolate while cool, causing lumps. Why didn't I think about larger junks before? Hmmmm......

Thanks,
Zach