Chocovision

Bulb vs. hot air system

Picture of User 5
Bulb vs. hot air system
by User 5 - Sunday, 26 February 2006, 6:41 AM

Some (if not all) of Chocovision machines use a hot air system rather than bulbs whereas other popular machines (such as Hillard's Little Dipper) use bulbs.

Can anyone comment on the advantages of hot air systems vs. bulbs for tempering machines?
Picture of User 21
Re: Bulb vs. hot air system
by User 21 - Monday, 6 March 2006, 1:36 PM

I only have experience with the hot air system in my Revolation x3210, but I really like it. The forced air never gets hotter than about 115 degrees no matter how long the heater is on, so I don't need to worry about burning my chocolate or getting hot spots.

It seems to me that using a bulb would be similar to cooking on an electric stove...Slow to warm up, slow to cool down, difficult to control to an exact temperature.

Thank you,
Diana Youngerman
Picture of User 25
by User 25 - Tuesday, 7 March 2006, 8:56 PM

dyoungerman wrote on Mon, 06 March 2006 13:36

It seems to me that using a bulb would be similar to cooking on an electric stove...Slow to warm up, slow to cool down, difficult to control to an exact temperature.

Diana Youngerman

It all depends on the control system. If you're going to use a work-light from the garage I'd expect problems to soon follow. I have a bulb system (ACMC's Tabletop Temperer) and love it. The temp settings are digital and very accurate. Plus, I assume it's cheaper to run its 2 light bulbs for 14 hours than a forced-air equivalent of a blowdryer.

I'm not picking a fight, just sharing an opinion. I've never seen a Revolation in person so I'm making a (not so?) educated guess.

Daniel
www.chocolatbydaniel.com
Picture of Anthony Lange
by Anthony Lange - Monday, 11 October 2010, 9:38 AM

Ive been experimenting with building my own tempering machine and the best temperature guru in town is of the opinion that forced air is the better method because it ensures the air circulates which doesnt happen with light bulbs or a heating element.  A solution when using an element or bulbs might be to put a small internal fan into the machine to circulate the heat to prevent 'hot spots'.... hope this helps. T