Chocovision

Overnight Mode

Picture of User 5
Overnight Mode
by User 5 - Sunday, 26 February 2006, 6:39 AM

I do not have direct experience with Chocovision products, but have read about what the call the "overnight" mode. Can anyone explain more about this feature? Do all of Chocovisions machines have these features or certain models only?

Picture of User 9
Re: Overnight Mode
by User 9 - Thursday, 2 March 2006, 7:00 PM

I have some limited experience with a Revolution X3210, and have used the overnight mode a few times. It raises the temperature enough to keep the chocolate melted, and the bowl rotates on and off intermittently. When you are ready to use it, you have to retemper the chocolate. It's useful since you can't let the chocolate harden in the bowl and have to clean it all up when you shut it down. SO at the end of a long day, it's nice to put on the overnight mode and walk away, rather than spending all the time to transfer out the chocolate and clean up the system.

I'm never quite sure if my Chocovision machines are working right, since they seem to have glitches and do not always behave as I expect based on the literature that comes with them.
Picture of User 5
by User 5 - Saturday, 4 March 2006, 11:27 AM

Thanks,

I've read things as well about Chocovision not being reliable. I'd be interested in know what types of problems you've had in particular.

What is your production capacity per day?
Picture of User 9
by User 9 - Saturday, 4 March 2006, 5:16 PM

I am not yet in production, but hope to complete an in-home chocolate production kitchen that I will use to operate a chocolate business part-time (at least initially). So I don't have any meaningful production rates to share with you. My intent is to make artisan chocolate, with emphasis on quality and hand detail, and less on quantity.

But I have been using Chocovision equipment since 2003. I started with a Revolution 1, and found that it resets when it gets jostled. I also learned that you have to test for temper and not rely on the machine. I have a new X3210 that does not have that problem, however, the temperature readout is wrong on one cycle (although the temperature itself is correct, as measured with a chocolate glass thermometer). The temperature adjustment does not seem to work, although I have not really tried it much. And one of the lights does not work on one of the cycles. But it does reliably temper chocolate, and the rotating bowl does have some nice features when I am dipping.

On the negative side, it is very noisy, and it kind of gets on my nerves after a while, plus it is too loud to listen to music or have a conversation while you work. Also, the machines tell you to add the seed before the chocolate is fully melted. If you do not let the chocolate completely melt, the temper is poor. The X3210 has a 30min preheat that I don't think can be bypassed even if the starting chocolate is fully melted. The final negative is that you have to have seed chocolate. It takes about a hour to temper in the X3210, at least for 3 lb to maybe about 6 lbs. It holds up to 10 lbs, but I have not tried that much. I do have the feed hopper.

I have just purchased some Savage tabletop tempering tanks, but do not yet have them installed. My husband used Savage tempering equipment in a training course and so we have decided to go that route.
Picture of User 21
by User 21 - Monday, 6 March 2006, 1:39 PM

I wrote at length about the joys and frustrations I've experienced with overnight mode. Please see my posting "Revolation x3210 Experience" for the details.

Hope it's insightful!

Diana