Chef Rubber Warmers

Italian warmer works great!

Picture of User 231
Italian warmer works great!
by User 231 - Friday, 20 February 2009, 1:36 PM

My husband and I just finished the EC chocolatier program and wanted to get something bigger and better than our plastic bowl and microwave...we make several hundred truffles at the holidays for our friends and relatives, so the ol' bowl was just getting too small.

After reading past posts on tempering machines, we decided to go with a Martellato (spelling?) warmer/melter instead of temperer because 1) heard they work well, 2) a local three-store chocolatier successfully makew all their products using large melter/warmers, and 3) we learned to table temper and it is so fast and easy that a warmer was all we needed to keep chocolate at the ready. Plus they are cheaper and have no moving parts to break. (Not that any chocolate equipment is really worth what the manufacturers charge, in terms of technology and materials, but what are we to do?)

We ordered the 6L size, but could have used the next size up. The 6L works fine for our size of needs (home production for friends), but note that 6L means to the brim, not a working level, which is lower than that. We had to wait 6-8 weeks from Chef Rubber for this--apparently they order from Italy.

The unit keeps temperature well, and moves up or down gradually as you set it. We melt the chunked chocolate in a bowl in the microwave first, then pour most of it onto a slab to temper, and the rest into the melter. The tempered chocolate gets transferred to the melter to keep warm. We check the temper of the total mass in the warmer, and keep stirring for a little more time if it's not quite in temper (check via spoon tip dipping). We give it occasional stirring to keep the temper happy. More melted chocolate can be added and portions tempered on the slab next to the melter. [Before this, we were warming our plastic bowl of chocolate every few minutes in the microwave to keep it at working temp.] We have also tried filling the melter with chunked chocolate and leaving it at 94F all night. The next morning it was all melted and all we did was temper a portion on the slab, add it back to the melter, and lower the melter to 88F.

Cleans nicely and works well. Also, the rectangular pan is better for filling and draining molds, which we like to do. Catches all the drips. Temp dial is in celsius, so need to learn to convert for US folks.
In Paris in front of Patrick Roger's store
Re: Italian warmer works great!
by Valerie Duke - Monday, 25 October 2010, 1:32 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you - just what I am looking for...
Picture of Ethan S.
by Ethan S. - Thursday, 4 November 2010, 7:07 PM

Thanks for all your info. I'm also wanting to buy a Martellato choc warmer for personal, home use. I wanted a small machine however one that had a basin large enough to let chocolate polycarbonate molds drip into. I think the 6L one that you purchased would be perfect for molds, however I'm worried that I'd need to melt too much chocolate to get the basin reasonably filled.

Approximately how much chocolate by weight have you needed to melt down in order to fill the 6L basin by about half or 3/4's?

Does anyone have much experience with using the 3.6L Martellato choc warmer? (amount of chocolate by weight that it accomodates and whether the smaller size could accomodate polycarb molds?)

Thanks.
Picture of Leanne Redinger
by Leanne Redinger - Monday, 29 June 2015, 1:02 PM

I am also thinking of buying a 6kg (13lb) melter from Martellato.  I see these posts are from a few years ago, but just wondering if anyone has anymore recent feedback on the MeltinChoc. melters (and how small of a batch can you do in the 6kg)??