Chef Rubber Warmers

Mol d' Art Melters

Picture of User 41
Mol d' Art Melters
by User 41 - Thursday, 20 July 2006, 8:03 PM

Can anyone tell me please if these melters are good to buy? Has anyone used them? Let me know...
Thanks,
Raul
Picture of User 5
Re: Mol d' Art Melters
by User 5 - Thursday, 21 September 2006, 11:22 AM

Raul,

Sorry you were left without a response of some kind. I did not receive an autmatic notice that this message was posted.

For these melters, you're not planning on using these for tempering are you? I assume just for holding the temperature of already melted/tempered chocolate? As I'm sure you know, these are different from tempering machines that precisely raise and lower the temperature of chocolate to bring it into temper.

I think that you would find these melters aren't really necessary if you have a temperer. I've not really found a use for them, except they might serve as a place to hold larger quantities of already tempered chocolate if your temperer wasn't large enough. As for the performance of the machines, I'm sorry I can't speak to that because I've not dealt with these specific ones before. Hopefully someone else in the forum can provide better information for you.

Thanks,
Zach

Picture of User 21
by User 21 - Tuesday, 20 February 2007, 2:08 PM

Raul,

I have not used the Mol d'Art melters, but I use a very similar product from Martellato that I purchased from Chef Rubber. In short, I love them! They are the best fit for me and are practically worry-free.

To use them, I load in my chocolate (bars, chunks, or pistolles), set the temperature for 50C and leave them alone for a few hours (usually overnight or while I am at my "real" job). When I'm ready to begin production, I adjust the temperature to 30C and add 30-50% by weight of pistolles to seed the melted chocolate. Stir with a spatula and, as needed, a heavy duty immersion blender to blend in the last stubborn bits.

Some of the points I like... There are no moving parts or motors to break. I can leave them on overnight or for days at a time without worry. They're silent. They're easy to clean. I can come home to 3+ Kilos of melted chocolate that is ready to work within 20 min. They work wonderfully with pistolles, where some motorized machines don't.

One of the best parts is that I've been able to maintain nearly flawless temper for an entire working day with minimal attention. By this, I mean stirring frequently, checking temper and temperature regularly, then adjusting the temperature slightly as needed. For me, the Martellato warmers are a pleasure to work with and they give me wonderful results!

All that said, if you are not comfortable hand-tempering and are not willing to invest a little time perfecting your eye and skills, I would not recommend warmers for tempering. They are a kitchen assistant, but not an automated sous chef. I would not have purchased one when I first graduated from the program because I wasn't confident in my skills, but now I wouldn't be without one. Unfortunately, there is very little information about the machines and their pros/cons.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Picture of User 126
by User 126 - Sunday, 11 November 2007, 11:47 AM

I recently bought my melter and have a question of how to hold the chocolate when not in use. I produce my products once a week, and so far have left the chocolate in the melter and keep it at about 31 degrees Celsius. How do others hold their chocolate if you do not use it day to day?

Thanks