Using Professional Tempering Machines

Entry level tempering machines

Picture of Fija Callaghan
Entry level tempering machines
by Fija Callaghan - Saturday, 28 September 2013, 3:36 PM

A general question to anyone proficient in chocolate tempering:

Ì`m interested in getting an inexpensive, entry level chocolate tempering machine for home use, and I was looking at the chocovision rev 1 and 2. The main differences between them (aside from $200) is that the rev 2 does what they call a `traditional temper`, meaning it melts the chocolate, brings it to a few degrees below the ideal tempering point, and then raises it up a bit; the rev 1 just does a straight line from melted to tempered. The other difference is that the rev 1 functions only on pre-set temperatures, whereas the rev 2 offers the option of inputting custom temperatures to match the chocolate you`re using.

So my question is this: are these features worth spending a few extra hundred dollars on? how close do you need to be to the ideal temperature for any given brand to acheive a workable tempered state? Does the traditional temper curve give a very different result than a straight line quick temper? Any input on these ideas would be very much appreciated :)

Mystic Grains
Re: Entry level tempering machines
by Anthony Neilly - Wednesday, 1 February 2017, 7:39 AM

Chocolate enrober from Alibaba. This model is sold by many companies and has many same specs as Belgium choco makers.

Company Bonbon
by Elaine Hsieh - Wednesday, 1 February 2017, 2:49 PM

Can you send along details?  Make, year, use, and asking price?  Thanks!

Picture of Chris Cecil
by Chris Cecil - Saturday, 1 April 2017, 3:42 PM

I know this is a Chinese made machine. Have you used it? Are there any issues for tempering chocolate?

Thanks.