Using Professional Tempering Machines

Bean to Bar Tempering

Picture of jessica stephens
Bean to Bar Tempering
by jessica stephens - Monday, 21 May 2012, 6:31 AM

I am trying to better understand if there is a difference between tempering chocolate when you are producing chocolate from the bean and where you are tempering chocolate for confection using chocolate that has already been tempered to form stabalized form V (beta 2) crystals.

Virtually every description of tempering that i have found uses already properly tempered chocolate for the seeding process.

IF you don't have already tempered chocolate to seed with how does the process work?

Is there a difference in equipment for confectioners and for bean to bar production. Most of the machine descriptions that i have found use seeding for already properly tempered chocolate in their product description and reviews.

I am both trying to gain a better understanding of the process and find the appropriate tempering machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jess
Picture of vicente aquino
Re: Bean to Bar Tempering
by vicente aquino - Wednesday, 8 August 2012, 3:26 AM

In order for you to temper chocolate from the bean, you need a tempering machine with cooling system to temper your chocolate.
Picture of Amaleah Black-Smiley
by Amaleah Black-Smiley - Sunday, 22 September 2013, 11:27 PM

Would a Chocovision Rev 1 work for bean to bar ? Have been playing with hand tempering but ready to invest in small tempering machine. Refining and conching (to some degree so far) in a Cocoa Town tabletop melangeur deluxe to a liquor.

Picture of Linda Hofmeister
by Linda Hofmeister - Monday, 23 September 2013, 5:59 AM

You can use the Chocovision Rev 1 to temper your newly made chocolate, except that you will still need a small amount of tempered chocolate to seed the batch. 

Would a Chocovision Rev 1 work for bean to bar ? Have been playing with hand tempering but ready to invest in small tempering machine. Refining and conching (to some degree so far) in a Cocoa Town tabletop melangeur deluxe to a liquor.

by Amaleah Black-Smiley - Sunday, 22 September 2013, 11:49 PM

Picture of Mon Edginton
by Mon Edginton - Saturday, 14 March 2015, 9:59 PM

How did you go, did you buy the Chocovision? 
I am having the same issue that I would like to make from bean to bar with no seed, just to temper straight up from melanger....

fermenting our beans and covering with banana leaves
by Alexis Blair - Wednesday, 14 October 2015, 10:40 AM

I have the Chocovision Rev 1 Delta it is an outstanding machine.