Chocovision

Chocovision Rev2

Picture of Michelle Sanders
Chocovision Rev2
by Michelle Sanders - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 7:56 PM

I have had my ChocoVision Rev2 for four years. I have had no technical problems with it, no repairs needed. I started out with a Rev1, and it did have problems, and the darker chocolates didn’t temper well. When I called ChocoVision, they admitted that the Rev1 isn’t designed for darks, and recommended I trade up for the Rev2. I was amazed that they gave me full credit for returning the Rev1 toward the price of a Rev2! It was only a month old or so, but still, I was surprised. They even encouraged me to consider trading up again, as they allow it within a year of purchase.

My Rev2 is very small, so it’s portable, easy to move and clean, and great for small batches. It doesn’t hold a lot of chocolate, only up to 1.5 pounds, but if you use melted chocolate additions, you can re-temper very quickly.
If you use solid chocolate pieces in the tempering process, they tend to ride up and out of the bowl, and I have to keep pushing them back in. And very small pieces can sneak into the melted side of the baffle. This causes no issue for me, because I like to start with melted chocolate for a speedier start-up.

Here are my likes and dislikes about it:

I like that you can adjust the temperature outside of the standard settings.

I don’t like that you can’t stop the bowl from spinning for more than 90 seconds at a time. During dipping, this isn’t an issue, but I’d like to be able to leave melted chocolate in the bowl overnight, and with the bowl spinning, by morning it is as thick as mud, even if I use the cover. If I turn the machine off, the chocolate hardens, and when I turn it back on again, the machine struggles as the bowl tries to spin with chocolate stuck to it and the baffle.

I like that the machine is small enough that I can take it with me for demo’s, or use it for very small batches.

I don’t like that it is loud.

I like that ChocoVision has all the parts available immediately.

I don’t like that the bowl is too small to catch the chocolate from inverted molds.

I like that the machine is truly a table-top machine – I can sit at the table and dip comfortably without reaching.

I don’t like that the prongs bend fairly easily, and then are difficult to insert properly when assembling.

I like that it tempers very quickly, so I can re-temper, or clean and temper a different type of chocolate very easily.

I don’t like that the baffle tends to move back and forth and sometimes it loses its connection, especially when tempering using solid chocolate pieces. It is easy to reconnect, by the way, by just pushing the baffle back into place, but it’s annoying nonetheless.

I would recommend this machine without hesitation as a first machine for home use or a small start-up business. It’s a good first machine, and when you move up to a larger machine, it’s a great back-up and it’s wonderfully compact for small batches. I like to enrobe in dark chocolate, and then decorate with either milk or white chocolate. It is great to have this machine ready to handle the decorating chocolate while I’m finishing up enrobing a larger batch in a larger machine.

I’m now at the point where I’m training an assistant. I can set her up using this machine right next to me using a larger machine, and we can dip at the same time. She is not intimidated by this machine, and loves that she can re-temper much faster than I can. It’s these little things that make all the difference!
Picture of Jean Marie Kennedy
Re: Chocovision Rev2
by Jean Marie Kennedy - Sunday, 8 January 2012, 12:09 PM

How do you add melted chocolate to the machine that has already tempered chocolate?  Does it stay in temper?