Chef Rubber Warmers

Picture of User 2
What is Direct Tempering Method?
by User 2 - Sunday, 19 March 2006, 11:35 AM

Just in case you haven't run across the term: "direct" method of tempering.

In the direct method, small chips of tempered chocolate are left in the melter set at 88 - 90?F (31 - 32?C) over night for a gentle warming that holds the temper of the chocolate. The theory is that you never warm the chocolate over the 91?F point where it loses its temper.

Good for working with special chocolates or for small production batches.

My experience with the direct method without using a machine:

While this method seems pretty darn easy - just melt the chocolate carefully in either a microwave or double boiler - I've tried a couple of times to control the temperature but haven't had any luck in perfecting this technique. I found it impossible to get the whole mass of chocolate to melt and be warm enough to use for enrobing or molding while keeping the temperature of the mass under 90?F.

Pam

Picture of User 5
Re: What is Direct Tempering Method?
by User 5 - Monday, 20 March 2006, 7:55 AM

I recently read on the internet of an experiment someone had with the direct tempering method, and I've included an excerptbelow from this person's website. Unfortunately, when I copied the information from the website (as I sometimes do for my records) I did not include the source, so I apologize for not being able to give proper credit to the person who wrote this. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know and I'll make reference. Below are the problems this person encountered with direct tempering.

I would like to hear the other side of the coin, too, as I'm sure there must be someone out there who has experienced consistent success with this method for certain applications, particularly using Chef Rubber products, so that s/he can share any secrets.

Thanks! Zach

When I tried this technique I ran into three problems:

1: It turns out that maintaining something at a certain temperature within plus or minus one degree is difficult. I tried using two different thermostatically controlled heating pads, but both provided temperatures that ranged above and below the target temperature by as much as 10 degrees. This could be evened out somewhat by using a very heavy ceramic bowl, but temperatures still fluctuated. Next I tried a thermostatically controlled crock pot with water in the pot and a heavy ceramic bowl over the top like a double boiler. This worked better than the heating pads but again, the temperature fluctuations were too great for absolute control. Finally, I set up a deep pan half filled with water and covered with a heavy ceramic bowl. The water did not touch the bottom of the bowl. By setting the flame of the smallest burner at it's lowest flame the melting bowl's temperature could be maintained at a near constant 86 degrees. The constant heat provided by the non-fluctuating flame worked better at maintaining the temperature than the thermostatically controlled systems.

2: Heat travels from the bowl to the chocolate because there is a temperature difference between them. Near the melting point, this temperature difference is so small that it takes a very long time for the chocolate to melt. In my test it took two hours. This is too long to spend watching and mixing the chocolate when other techniques enable chocolate to be tempered in just a few minutes.

3: A problem develops when this technique is applied to large quantities of chocolate, the top layer of chocolate is cooler than the bottom even with constant stirring. This means that it is impossible to keep the top liquid without having the chocolate on the bottom get too hot and lose it's temper.
Picture of Pierre Gruget
Re: What is Direct Tempering Method?
by Pierre Gruget - Friday, 22 June 2012, 7:50 AM

If you copy part of the text, put it within quote on your favourite search engine so that it looks for an exact match, then you find the URL it comes from...

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/tempering2.htm

Have a good day
Pierre